Calcium Onslaught in a nutshell
This is Calcium Onslaught, a game I created with Erik Leiram in Unity.
It is a hack and slash game made with the intention to learn more about developing a game in Unity using C# scripting.
This project taught me a lot about the ups and downs with Unity and going forward I will be able to scope my projects a lot better.
The assets are from the Unity asset store, minor props and textures are made by me and Erik.
The dock area that the player starts in, here the player is taught about breakables and the sword the player uses throughout the game
My goal was to learn about making a complete game in Unity from
the concepting stage until wrapping and shipping the final product.
This overhanging goal taught me about scripting, lighting, navmesh, optimization, physics and a whole lot more.
The project iself taught me more about working with another person on a project, about responsbility regarding my own features.
A screenshot of the Unity project and the level I made for the game with a view of the player controller we made together
How to achieve my goals
To achieve this I knew I had to push my self to script things I had no experience with such as the combat system I made during the project. I already knew how to make puzzles and how to make simple games like the boss fight I had made previous to this.
But I knew I wanted to get a better grip surrounding C#, seeing as how I had a intermediate understanding of scripting before this I had to take it slow and iterate a lot.
First I made the combat system in its most basic form, just a block that spawned inside of the player and did damage to everything it touched except the player. This later on became the “swing your sword with an animation and the thing you collide with gets hit” system. Much more advanced and a lot more fun!
This would have been impossible if I scoped that big at the start of the combat system, a lesson I will take with me in the future. Iteration is key!
The player gets trapped in this room with enemies when the gate closes
We made a list of features we wanted to get in the game, not all made it in the game sadly, something I will keep in mind for the future is that having a good core is a lot better then few undeveloped features.
Planning the project
To start off me and Erik made a list of features we had to have to make sure the game was playable in its most basic form.
This list was iterated upon as the project went on to make sure we kept a good eye on the deadline which was the 11th of March.
We split up the game on things we were going to create, I made the level and focused on scripts relating to things such as pickups and combat while Erik focused on other things that you can read about on his portfolio page right here.
After this I added more polish features to my personal list were meant to make the game more fun. Such as breakables, pickups, trail on the sword swing, enemy variation, sound effects and much more!
Me and Erik divided the work between us and these were my responsibilities:
Having crafted an entire level from blockout to wrapped product I have come to love working in Unity.
I used the modular set that we had to block out my level, afterwards I placed out enemies and scripted the tutorial in a simple fashion.
A problem I encountered was how people complained about how plain the environment was. To address this I decided to rebuild the modular parts individually to make sure each area had its own distinct personality and feeling.
Something that I took great advantage of to accomplish this was colorful lighting. Since we have a high fantasy theme to our game it is easier to sell a colourful lighting of my level.
1. How a modular piece looked before I reworked it
2. The result using the same modular pieces
3. In-game showcase of the room in question
At first this project seemed like a giant undertaking, I had never made a game in Unity nor had I made anything this big without programmers or graphical artists.
But because me and Erik scoped our project early on to only fit the essentials and then after the essentials were finished we could work on extra features to the project such as breakables.
Because of this approach we rarly felt as if we were off track and if we did feel as if we were off track we just went back to the list and made sure we were working on something essential.
This project taught me a lot about scripting, reusing assets, collaboration, teamwork, problem solving and wrapping projects.
The player is blocked by barrels and creates, this teaches the player about how breakables work as they need the sword
to get to the secret
The player is able to plan ahead since they are able to see the horde of enemies in the next room
Back to the Top
Max Forsberg © 2020 email@example.com